Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Thanks to Many

Looking over my last posts I realized they were emails written to specific communities of people. As such, many of the important people over the last few days may not have received the recognition they truly deserve.

First, it was a blessing and miracle to have Jill's mother, Susie, staying with us while I was away. She cared for Jill in my absence and was on the spot when Jill started having contractions - driving her to the hospital and staying by her side until I arrived (and then some...)

Also, dear friend Pam Benjamin came to the hospital as soon as she found out Jill was having trouble. She stayed with Susie and provided comfort, transportation and more love that you can imagine!

The good thing about being a pastor is that you have a great network of very capable and compassionate friends when the time comes. Home church pastors Janet St. Cyr and Becky Strang were a constant help. Mentoring pastor Brice Thomas made a visit as did Barb Hobe and Joe Schulte. Sunday afternoon my core group advisor from seminary, Ed Ellis, dropped by and provided a great deal of comfort to Susie and me in the waiting area of the hospital.

My trip home from Arizona/Mexico would not have been possible without my travel companion and fellow seminarian John Virgin. He let me drive and talk on the phone from Tucson to Phoenix - probably not the best plan on my part - and was a great encouragement. Tammy Jo Reiser found a flight for me and Jim Strang drove the 2 hours to Columbus to get me and bring me back to the hospital.

Our families have been very supportive and concerned. My sister Melissa, who lives north of Phoenix, came to the airport to spend a few minutes with me before I flew out of Arizona - it was good to see my sissy... Jill's sister and brother have been in regular contact too, providing much love and support.

There are too many friends to mention - all have been a wonderful comfort to us at this time.

Many churches and synagogues have told me that we are on our their "prayer chains" - where all their members are aware of what is going on and able to lift concerns for Gus up to our Creator. Our home church, David's UCC in Kettering, OH, has been a wonderful support. We have received much good advice from friend Jen Teeters who had a similar NICU experience with her (now almost three year old) son.

If you weren't mentioned by name - you are surely remembered. Thanks for your continued prayers,
Gregg

No comments: