Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sweet Boy!

Gus moved out of his private suite today - twin preemies were delivered today that needed the space. He was out into "Pod A" again with the associated noise and activity. Hopefully it doesn't bug him too much - he is getting bigger but the quite space sure was nice for him...

Although Gus is pictured here with his cannula on, it wasn't long after I visited him that he had to go back on the CPAP oxygen feed. He had lasted over 28 hours on the cannula - last time it was just under 20 hours. Sort of like weight training, he needs to rest between these "workouts" so I'm sure they will try again in a few days. This doesn't seem to alarm anyone at the hospital and is described as a regular part of weaning off of constant pressure from the oxygen. He is so cute with it off - we can't wait until he can do without the CPAP or the cannula. But we are patient that the healing and strengthening that has to happen before that point is occurring now.

Gus gained another ounce today - up to 2 lb 12 oz! He is now a pound heavier than when he was born. Jill went in after I did and was able to hold Gus for about an hour even with his CPAP on. He took a little time to get settled into the new headgear but has done fine since she left in the early evening.

Lifted up by Grace,
Gregg, Jill and Gus

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! One pound heavier!!! Keep on growing little guy!!!

Victoria in Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

I know I haven't commented in a while, but I've been here every single day. He's more amazing every day and you are right, he's cute as a button!!!!

K

Anonymous said...

Just like Kim H., I haven't written or talked to you in a LOOOONG time, but first thing I do every morning when I turn on my computer at work is check Gus's progress. A lot of the things you write about, Gregg, bring back memories of when my three little ones (not that little anymore. They turned 14 last February!) were in the NICU. Gus is beautiful and I can't wait to meet him personaly and to hold him in my arms! Keep up the good work Gus and have a wonderful Easter! Maybe if Gus had a few Easter eggs, he could put on another pound. Love to all of you, Karin A-J